Thursday, January 11, 2007

I usually fizzle

Every year I start out in January with big plans. I want to expand my fruit production. Last year I had raspberries and they were very successful. This year I want to do blueberries. Plants are expensive but the county will have them for the plant sale.

I try to draw out where things are going to go in the garden. Then a nice day appears in March or April and I plant lettuce and peas. Then I totally forget about my plan. I try and squeeze in one more tomato plant. I plant kale and never eat it or freeze it. The rabbits eat it. I SHOULD plant kale. It's easy to grow. I SHOULD eat kale. It's really good for me.

This year the goal is to not over do. I'll use my space efficiently. I'll do succession planting and I won't expand by more than one bed.

Watch me fizzle!

2 comments:

caseyoconnell said...

I just read a great quote in a book ("Truck" by Michael Perry) saying something to the effect that seed catalogs are responsible for far more fantasizing than all the girlie magazines put together. That tickled me!

Casey
(Valkyrie9 at MDC)

Stone Fence Farm said...

I'm going to have to read that book!